Welcome to the Department of Clinical Education
We are available to assist all Clinical Faculty, Preceptors and Students with rotations scheduling and questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Department of Clinical Education is dedicated to providing COMP (COMP-Pomona and COMP-Northwest) OMS (Osteopathic Medical Student) III and IV -students with the best possible clinical education opportunities to prepare them for residency training.
Clinical Teaching Physicians
Preceptor: A Preceptor appointment is a COMP/College appointment. Use this application for Elective 4th year rotations.
Clinical Faculty: A Clinical Faculty Appointment is a University appointment. Use this application for core rotations, Hospitalists, 3rd year rotations.
Clinical Faculty Resources are only offered to those with a University appointment. We do not offer these resources to preceptors. A Preceptor appointment is a College appointment only.
Clinical Faculty Remote Access to Electronic Resources
Western University Library
Thank you for all the work you do to help our students become skilled and caring healthcare providers. In exchange for your services, we provide access to a number of library resources. Here’s what you need to do:
- You must have a current clinical faculty appointment through one of WesternU’s colleges.
- Your college must submit paperwork to University Academic Affairs for approval.
- Once your appointment has been approved by Academic Affairs, you can fill out the library’s remote access request form. You are typically e-mailed to confirm your access and given a username and password within in 1-2 business days.
- Choose the desired resource from this guide. You will be prompted to log in; enter the username and password you were provided in the e-mail.
- If you want to receive the full text of articles the library does not have access to, you can set up an ILLiad account. For more information on using ILLiad, see this tutorial.
Your access to library resources must be renewed every year by July 1. You will receive a reminder e-mail from the library in June.
What the Library Provides
WesternU provides access to many library resources and services, including:
- Point of Care Resources for quick look-up in the clinic
- Journals and Databases for your research needs
- E-books (including e-books about teaching)
The librarians will also conduct literature searches for clinical faculty.
You can get in touch with your library liaison if you have any questions or use any of the contact options at the top of the page.
List of Electronic Resources not available for Clinical Faculty – send crystal word doc to turn into link
Provides point-of-need instruction for preceptors in the form of videos, tips, answers to frequently asked questions, and links to in-depth information on precepting topics. Currently credentialed COMP Clinical Faculty will have access to this resource.
Department Clinical Chairs Welcome Videos
- Family Medicine Preceptor Information Video
- Internal Medicine Preceptor Information Video
- NMM/OMM Preceptor Information Video
- OB/GYN Preceptor Information Video
- Pediatrics Preceptor Information Video
- Psychiatry Preceptor Information Video
- Surgery Preceptor Information Video
Core Rotations are designed to expose the OMS III students to the breadth of medical knowledge, and to standardize the learning experience in the OMS III year. Much of the OMS III year is comprised of core rotations. Accreditation requirements dictate that a certain number of these rotations must be completed in hospitals, with osteopathic physicians, and in academic environments with residents on the service.
Elective Rotations means that both the discipline and location are chosen by the student and may be completed at any affiliated site and with a COMP credentialed preceptor.
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine – Selective
- Neurology (Adult)
- Neurology (Child)
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R)
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Sports Medicine
Conference Week activities and examination performance are an essential part of the student’s final core rotation grade. Conference Weeks take place in the third-year and are bi-annual; they are held on campus in Pomona, California and in Lebanon, Oregon. All Conference Week activities are mandatory for all third-year students. Conference weeks include the following activities related to a student’s rotations:
- Prospective plenary sessions for upcoming rotations
- IM Standardized Patient Case Presentations
- Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) including:
- Pre-OSCE session
- Standardized Patient encounter
- SOAP note following the patient encounter
- Post-OSCE video review
- OMM review sessions
- Required lectures, Town Hall, etc.
Annual Rotations Preview Day provides our DO students with the opportunity to hear information about their rotation options from our clinical sites before their third-year rotation lottery begins. Each clinical site and preceptor in attendance comes prepared to the event with items and information to showcase their rotation information to the students.