WesternU SHPEP offers an innovative interprofessional approach to its summer residential program through team-based learning of foundational science, interprofessional faculty teaching and learning, health disparities exploration, and healthcare policy education, all centered on the experience of the patient. The primary goal for the WesternU SHPEP team is to strengthen the academic proficiency, clinical commitment, compassion, and enhance the career development of students underrepresented in the health professions, to prepare them for successful application and matriculation to a health professions program. WesternU SHPEP provides 4 different program tracks: Medicine, Dentistry, Physical Therapy, and Optometry.
Due to Covid-19, all students admitted to the program will need to abide by the following institutional policies of the University:
COVID-19 Institution Policies:
Masks are required to attend this site.
YES; the WesternU SHPEP programming is obligated to follow both the University and Los Angeles County Department of Public Health guidelines.
YES; the WesternU SHPEP programming is obligated to follow the University policy which requires its students to be vaccinated.
More information regarding the campus COVID-19 policies:
- LA County Department of Public Health – Website: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/
- WesternU COVID-19 policies – Websites:
- WesternU CORONAVIRUS Information: https://stagewp.westernu.edu/covid-19/
- COVID-19 CAMPUS POLICIES: https://stagewp.westernu.edu/covid-19/guidance/
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND PERTINENT INFORMATION: https://stagewp.westernu.edu/covid-19/resources-support/faqs/
- WesternU Covid-19 policies – PDFs:
- Institutional Requirements for WesternU: https://stagewp.westernu.edu/covid-19/resources-support/faqs/
- COVID-19 Vaccination Program Policy FAQs: https://www.westernu.edu/media/health/westernu-covid-19-vaccination-program-faqs.pdf
WesternU SHPEP Program Dates: June 20, 2022 – July 29, 2022
Opening Ceremony: Sunday, June 19, 2022
Curriculum: June 20, 2022 – July 29, 2022
Closing Ceremony: Saturday, July 30, 2022
We look forward to seeing your application!
WesternU SHPEP Webinar:
the WesternU SHPEP Team will be hosting two webinars to share about the program for summer 2022. Students will have an opportunity to learn about the WesternU tracks/professions, curriculum, faculty, and more.
Tuesday, January 11th from 5-6:30pm (Pacific Time).
For students that are interested in joining us, please register using the following link: WesternU SHPEP Webinar